Day 13: 20 Things I've learned since being in College


So now that I've been in college for over a year, I can look back and I've realized that I have learned a lot. Not only academically, but I've learned a lot about people, different ways of living, and myself. It's amazing what moving across the country and attending school for a subject you've never pursued before can do to a person, but more so, teach to a person. So here's just a few things that I've learned...

First, and foremost, I've learned how much I enjoy "doing things". Any time I have an opportunity to leave my room/campus to do something, whether it be making my favorite banana bread at my friends' apartment, or going into the town surrounding my campus, I will take it. Not everyone actually likes "doing things" which I am astounded by, but more for me I suppose.

Always set an alarm. Or multiple. Waking up is hard, especially when you're getting minimal amounts of sleep.

I get really grouchy and unfocused if I don't eat. Which I need to do a lot because a) my metabolism is really fast b) I have at least one swim practice a day on any given day c) when I get stressed by metabolism speeds up, so I stress eat.

I've learned people are actually pretty reasonable if you ask for a favor, because it is likely that they were in the same position at some point in time.

I now know that a lot of the large words that architects use in conversation, or in describing something although sound made up, are not. For example, gestulation, elasticate, statical, processuality, and documentate are all words I've heard a professor say, and legitimately thought they were making words up.

I now understand how foundation, masonry structures, steel and timber framing, and exterior cladding works in a structure.

It's hard to please everyone, and I now know it's most important to at least try and please yourself.

I've come to realize that the people you surround yourself with are extremely important. For your sanity, for resources, for help, for laughs, for fun. For everything.

Music is amazing. I mean, I already knew this but I definitely have a new appreciation for music and the way it can preoccupy your mind when you'd rather not be up at 4 am doing work.

I've learned how to use lots of different programs since being here, such as Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, Rhino, Maya, and a few more. I guess that's what a Polytechnic Institute will do to you.

I've learned to pack light, and I can definitely refine my packing skills even more.

Organization is vital. Of physical space (since these dang dorm rooms are just so small) and of time (and my time management skills are decent, but sometimes I loose track of time, or get caught up in an assignment/activity.)

I've come to realize how much I love the Pacific Northwest.

Also, since deciding to attend school in New York I not only enjoy travelling, but I have now come to the realization that I really enjoy (planned) adventures, especially if they are in new, different places.

Similarly, I've learned the importance of bringing things to do whilst travelling. Books are good.

There are some things that you just need to take care of by yourself, but at the same time there are some things you just can't do alone - and I've just started to figure out when those times are.

Always have a pen on you. I now know that you never know when you might need to write something down.

I thought that I would talk to more people from high school, but I don't and I've realized that I don't really want to.

I've learned that architecture is all about the process, and if the process is good, a good result will come of it.

I think it's always been this way, but being in college has made me realize that the way in which I prioritize things is very important to my productivity level. Things that drop down on my priority levels (which really shouldn't) will take a very long time for me to get to. For example, I've been meaning to wash my water bottles now for about a month. I have no idea as to why I keep putting that off, but silly little things like that will go uncompleted for far too long.




Lizzie said...

This is an amazing list. I agree with the point you made about talking to friends from high school. There are a few people I still genuinely enjoy talking to, especially my best friend Puja. But that's it.

I hope things are going well! I am trying to enjoy my Fall Break by purging some stuff I don't need anymore, "doing things" (as you put it), and chipping away at homework.

Thank you for the comment on my blog. I feel like you and I never get to talk! I hope we can meet in Austin this summer. :)

Natalie said...

"There are some things that you just need to take care of by yourself, but at the same time there are some things you just can't do alone - and I've just started to figure out when those times are."

So, so true.

© An Integral Design. Design by Fearne.