Strawberry Rhubarb Pie



Probably because that makes you sounds a bit greedy. So if you must choose, you should probably weigh your options in regards to the decision you're about make, and then make it. I recall someone once saying that pie is simple, and cake... cake is complex, and it felt right to follow the simplistic route, although this experience was anything but! If you see any annotations in light grey, those are my own comments on the recipe. (Did I mention that I am technically allergic to strawberries?)

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
recipe found at saveur

INGREDIENTS:

FOR THE CRUST:
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
6 tbsp. cold milk

FOR THE FILLING:
1¼ cups plus 2 tsp. sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
3 cups halved and hulled strawberries (I sliced them because the strawberries I used were large.)
2 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
2 tsp. milk

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400°. For the crust: Sift together flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Measure oil into a measuring cup, then add milk, but don't stir together. (I don't understand the logic behind that step but I did it anyways.) Pour oil and milk into flour mixture. Stir until dough just holds together. Divide dough in half (and then take a third of one and put it into the other because the base needs to be bigger than the top), shape into 2 balls, and flatten slightly. Roll out each ball between two sheets of wax paper into 12" rounds. Transfer one pastry round (discarding wax paper) into a 9" pie plate, and set other pastry round aside.

2. For the filling: Mix together 1¼ cups of the sugar, flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl, then add rhubarb and strawberries, tossing well to coat evenly.

3. Fill bottom crust with rhubarb–strawberry mixture and scatter butter on top. (And by scatter they mean scatter little pieces of butter because the natural properties of butter don't allow for scattering) Cover with remaining pastry round (discarding wax paper) and crimp edges together to seal. Score top to allow steam to escape, brush with milk, and sprinkle with remaining 2 tsp. sugar. Place pie on a baking sheet (oops missed this step, that would have prevented the boiling-over-the-edge dilemma) and bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, about 50 minutes. If edge of crust browns too quickly, cover edge with a strip of aluminum foil to prevent burning. Allow pie to cool for 1 hour before serving.

So I did all of that, and my pie turned out to be a bit runny. I probably could have cooked it a bit longer which would have solidified the juices a bit more, but I also saw a hint that says to take the runny bits out using a baster and then boil it in a stove pan until it thickens, and then put it back in. 






 


Lizzie said...

I feel like I've never been hungrier for pie than right now.

shelbyisms said...

Your comments are hilarious. You're the best. I don't like pie, but I bet it's tasty.

Natalie said...

Can you just narrate every recipe please?

In the great debate between pie and cake, I don't think I will ever hold a firm position. So, yeah, I'll just take both and be greedy. MUWAHA.

Liz said...

nom nom nom

That pie though.

© An Integral Design. Design by Fearne.