Providence, RI





While I can't know for sure that I won't ever live on the East Coast again, after this last year in college it isn't something that I'm planning on doing. This means that I need to try and experience as much of it as possible before I go! Providence, Rhode Island has been on my hypothetical bucket list (maybe I should make an actual list...) of cities to visit and last week I was able to spend a day there. I have a tendency to fall in love with cities that on the water and Providence was no difference. It was a cool, creative area that had a lot of restaurants and coffee shops -I had my first cortado at their Blue State Coffee- and venues for music and art. One of my good friends and college roommates now works and lives here which means I'll be back soon for a more thorough trip.


The original purpose for going to Providence was to see the above building located on the Brown University campus. For a course I'm taking, myself and a group are researching a nearby contemporary building and the Center for Creative arts designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro was a good choice. It was a beautiful, well-used building that uses a lot of new techniques in design and construction. With clear influences from the firms background in collaboration with theater design as well as their interests in making everyday life into a more performance, the sectional split of the building creates interior spaces that allow rooms to peer into each other. While I could go on about the design for much longer, I'll stop here.

I'm currently on a train headed up to Syracuse, NY where I will be spending Halloween and my Birthday, so I hope you enjoy the holiday weekend as much as I am planning to!
© An Integral Design. Design by Fearne.