Vancouver B.C.




Even though I grew up at the midpoint between Portland, Oregon, and Vancouver B.C., Portland became a quick, fun destination for a weekend away and the city just north of the Canadian border fell to the wayside. Until this spring I had only been to Vancouver once before - and I was so young that I hardly remember it. However, in the past few months, I've been able to visit twice now and explore what this Canadian city on the water has to offer.


Waking up: Revolver offers a wide variety of roasts and even has a tasting flight available to get the same bean prepared 3 different ways to see how they differ. 49th and Parallel drew me in with their rows of doughnuts and kept me there with delicious coffee. For something more substantial, Cafe Medina has provided me with tasty breakfast as well as celebrity sightings (Cole Sprouse and Alfie Allen). Yolks, which claims to have the perfect poached egg, has been calling my name and I plan to make a detour there on my next trip up. 

Out and about: If you're looking to stay on the main island of Vancouver, then Gastown is where it's at. Shops and restaurants line several blocks and can take up plenty of time! The contemporary art museum and central library are also great stops, for the selection of Canadian artists and the architectural intrigue respectively. I also have a tendency to scope out murals and a lot of the city uses their blank walls to promote art; one of my favorites being the pink and yellow alley shown below. Just outside of the city proper you can find plenty of things to fill your time. My last trip I checked out Granville Island, the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge, and Bloedel Conservatory but have been meaning to get to Stanly Park and the Kitsilano neighborhood as well. 

Eats and treats: If you're looking for an amazing fish taco and strong margarita, Tacofino is the place to be. Or maybe poutine and a Pimm's cup is more your style? If so, Six Acres has got you covered. And if neither of those sounds good because you're a vegetarian, don't you fret because MeeT on Main can fulfill your plant based needs. Besides those places, I'm also using this list of restaurants to fuel my eating inspiration on my next trip north. Earnest Ice Cream has been on my radar as a place to grab a sweet treat, all I need is a nice day and a free weekend to go back to Vancouver. 




Unknown said...

What a cool city! I'd love to visit soon.

-Jerad
www.neutralnomad.com

© An Integral Design. Design by Fearne.