FLORALS? FOR SPRING? GROUNDBREAKING.




New York City is exhausting. There is so much to do and see, and so little time to do it and half of the battle is just getting to your location. I wish I had the time to sit down and blog more, but when I do have the time to - I just want to unwind by doing nothing. But since I want to keep track of everything I've been doing, here's an extensive list:


  • -Recently had to make a 2 hour trek to the Bronx to get my lifeguard certification re-certified. It wouldn't have been that bad if it wasn't at 7am on a Sunday. And then of course the 2 hour ride back.

  • -A weird thing happened to me where teenage girls took pictures of me on the subway.

  • -Natalie stopped by on her way back to school from her spring break and we were able to catch up,  explore Brooklyn and go to some bookstores in Manhattan. Since Natalie has recently gone vegan, I also ended up eating vegan for the time she was here. One night for dinner we went to a local Ethiopian restaurant called Bunna, which was an expereince (no silverware!) but delicious nonetheless.

  • -A friend had tickets to go to a "The Grand Corset Ball", an event that was a kickstarter campaign for a corset museum or collection or something. Honestly I felt like I had entered so strange cult when I walked in; one where everyone dedicates months to craft their own unique corset, and costume just for this event. 

  • -I also went to a Burlesque show at the Slipper Room on the lower east side. SO. GREAT. Like, classy stripping is one thing, but this show had aerialists, and a comedian, and a great bartender who liked us so much that shots just "magically" appeared in front of us. 

  • -Speaking of that, from now on I'll make a point to befriend all of the cool batenders, because so far the results of just asking a server their name and making conversation with them results in free alcohol. 

  • -Over my "Spring Break" (is it even spring yet? It was hardly a break. I would like another please.) I had to go upstate to Troy, specifically to sign a lease for an apartment next year. Even though I got roped into working on some school stuff while I was there, it was made better by the Dough donuts I brought up as a treat for my host. Shout-out to Elaine for the great vegetarian meals while I was upstate!
  •  
  • - On a similar note, our apartment is trying to do a"Meatless Monday", last week we made black bean quinoa burgers that were really tasty, even if they were a bit mushy. Anyone else have recipe recommendations? 

  • -Went to my first official Brooklyn gallery opening the other week. The artist is a professor at my school, and while I didn't know him, someone else I was with had actually helped him with the photographs he presented. Sometimes I'm so Brooklyn it hurts.

  • -The photos above are from a walk of the waterfront tour we took with our professor... which is a class we are taking? I'm already mentally checked out of classes for this semester which is not good.

  •  So much time is spent in transportation that I've read 3 books on the subway in the past few weeks:
  •      -Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs)
    • I just finished this one, and while the premise is interesting (story of kids who have odd abilities) the writing is underwhelming to say the least. It's the beginning of a trilogy that is being made into a movie and I honestly think it will be a far better movie than a book. 
  •      -The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein) 
    • Okay, this one takes place in the greater Seattle area so maybe I'm biased, but I really enjoyed this book. It's written from the POV of a dog, and if you are a dog owner be prepared to cry. Easy read, highly recommended. 
  •      -The Light Between Oceans (M.L. Stedman)
    • While I found this to be an enjoyable read, I don't think I was the intended audience. Being a parent, or having a child or a long time significant other is basically required for you to connect emotionally with this book, and while I could empathize I just couldn't relate emotionally to the story line. My mom says she couldn't stop crying while reading it, and I didn't shed a tear... 

-In my quest to liven up my diet, I've discovered a few new food blogs mostly thanks to my friend Lauren, who whenever I walk by her desk in our studio, she is on a food blog:
  • -It seems like every spring I go through a "help-I-need-new-music-to-listen-to" phase. This spring is no different. I've been listening to a bunch of artists like Volcano Choirm Blind Pilot, Sylvan Esso, King Krule, Bear Hands, Chet Faker, and a bunch of more. 

  • -I also hopped on the podcast bandwagon, starting off with Invisibila from NPR. I've been bouncing around trying to find some good ones, right now I've got Night Vale and 99% Invisible on my list.. any suggestions?

  • -I'm not a huge fan of most "trends" in menswear, but I am obsessed with shirts that have a stand/grandad/missing collar. I have this one and recently got another, but short sleeve with a floral print. 

  • Drumroll please... I got an internship in Seattle! Well, Method Homes is actually located in Eastlake which is north of downtown. The firm does prefabricated housing, and has been featured countless numbers of times in Dwell magazine, and was recently featured in the Seattle Times! I'm excited to be doing work in the good ol' Pacific Northwest, and to be living at home for the summer.

If you actually read this entire list you deserve some #domesticdillon lovin'







Meesh said...

I love me some #domesticdillon

Go you!!

© An Integral Design. Design by Fearne.